Friday, September 7, 2012

Chalk Holders

My 3 year old loves drawing on her chalkboard and she makes a big mess doing so.  I decided to look for some of those chalk holders the teachers had when I was a kid.  They had them on Amazon, but they ran an average of $10 each!  So I went to the net for directions to make my own.  I could find only 1 tutorial on the net for them, it was using bamboo.  I took some chalk to the craft store and tried it in the bamboo I couldn't find any that was the right size for the chalk to fit snug.  Even some bamboo that was split wouldn't open enough to accept the chalk.  On top of that, the bamboo was $14!  I believe the author of this tutorial I had used green bamboo from his yard.  Anyway, looking around the store I picked up some flower styrofoam.  I guess you could use any kind that is tough, green or white.  Just stay away from the floral foam made to hold water.  The video below shows how to make the holders. I made 5 holders from one rectangle piece of foam for a total of $2.56, with a 40% coupon of course! ;)  Can't wait to make some for sidewalk chalk!  View the video below to see how I made them...



The chalk holder at work.  Of course, my daughter has to have pink chalk.  

The older girls decided that they didn't like the texture of the foam that much.  We wrapped the holder with packing tape, problem solved!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment